We received a flood of email after launching the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition and MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition lists yesterday. Managed services providers (MSPs), technology companies and investors worldwide want to know our survey criteria, what changes we’ve made from previous annual research, how to participate in future lists and research, and more. In response here’s an FAQ packed with answers to your most frequently asked questions.
1. What Is the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition?
The MSPmentor 501 Global Edition is an annual ranking of the world’s top 501 managed services providers (MSPs) across the globe. Find results here: http://www.mspmentor.net/top501.
2. What Is the MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition?
The MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition is an annual ranked of the world’s top 100 MSPs that have 10 or fewer employees. An easy-to-remember URL is http://www.mspmentor.net/top100.
3. What criteria do you use for the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition and MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition rankings?
Much like a decathlon, the rankings are based on a range of criteria rather than one business metric. Ranking criteria includes:
- Annual recurring revenues
- Annual recurring revenues percentage growth (year over year)
- Annual recurring revenues dollar growth (year over year)
- Number of customer devices managed (PCs, servers, network devices, notebooks, tablets, smartphones, etc.).
- Devices managed percentage growth (year over year)
- Devices managed numerical growth (year over year)
- Employee headcount
- Employee headcount percentage growth (year over year)
- Employee headcount actual number growth (year over year)
- Revenue per employee
- Devices managed per employee
4. How can I get my company listed on the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition and/or MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition?
The annual survey is open to all MSPs worldwide. The survey runs October through December. Watch for a survey link during those months at http://www.mspmentor.net/top501 and http://www.mspmentor.net/top100. Results are published each February. The results are based purely on submitted metrics.
5. How come large MSPs such as ATT, Dell Managed Services, IBM Managed Services and other big companies are not listed on the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition?
MSPs must participate in our annual survey (see Number 4 above) for consideration. Not all MSPs choose to participate.
6. My company wants to participate in the survey but we are publicly held and we are not permitted to disclose financial information for our MSP business division. What should I do?
For that specific scenario we are willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement to ensure your participation. Financial information is required for us to compile our list results, but we do not publish participants’ specific revenue figures.
7. How many MSPs participated in the Q4 2012 survey, which generated the February 2013 MSPmentor 501 Global Edition and MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition lists?
We received more than 1,200 inquiries from MSPs worldwide.
8. What happened to the original MSPmentor 100 list?
The original MSPmentor 100 list was published each February from 2008 through 2012. In February 2013 we shifted to the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition and MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition to reflect that fact that the MSP industry has grown and our audience has grown.
9. Do you have a downloadable report or PDF that I can read offline?
Yes. The MSPmentor 501 Global Edition report is more than 50 pages. It’s packed with data and trends about the MSP industry, and also features the complete MSPmentor 501 list. You can find a link to the report by visiting http://www.mspmentor.net/top501 or go directly to our Resource Center (http://www.mspmentor.net/resource-center) and find it there. The PDF is free but registration is required. The Resource Center also contains dozens of white papers and downloads for our MSPmentor 100 report (2008 through 2012).
10. What other lists and research do you offer? How can my company participate?
Our research and lists include:
- Top 100 Cloud Services Providers (Talkin’ Cloud 100): Ranking the world’s top 100 cloud services providers, cloud services aggregators, cloud services brokerages. Survey each Q1. Results each Q2. Participate using this link: http://www.talkincloud.com/tc100
- The MSPmentor 501 Global Edition: Ranking the world’s top 501 MSPs. Survey each October through December. Watch for a survey link during those months at http://www.mspmentor.net/top501. Results each February. Survey is open to all MSPs worldwide.
- The MSPmentor 100 Small Business Edition: Ranking the world’s top 100 MSPs that have 10 or fewer employees. Simply participate in the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition survey for consideration.
- MSPmentor 200 North America Edition, MSPmentor 50 EMEA Edition, MSPmentor 25 AANZ (Asia, Australia, New Zealand Edition): Participate in the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition survey for consdieration.
- MSPmentor 250: Annual Rolodex listing the world’s most influential MSP executives, entrepreneurs and experts. Includes Locked in the NOC — a list of all-time executives you’d lock in your office to leverage their expertise forever. Survey each Q2 with results each August. Survey link surfaces at http://www.mspmentor.net/top-250-people.
- The VAR Guy’s Top 100 Channel Events: A listing of top conferences for VARs, MSPs and CSPs. Visit http://www.thevarguy.com/events for listings and the calendar.
- The VAR Guy’s Channel Finance 100: A Rolodex that allows VARs, MSPs and CSPs to find leasing, loan and financial assistance to grow their businesses or finance customer IT deployments. This remains a work in progress. More details in 2013.
10. My company is seeking sponsorship, advertising and lead generation information. Who can help me?
For U.S. east coast technology companies please contact Debbie Kane, debbie.kane [at] penton.com. For U.S. west coast technology companies please contact Kim Daniels, kim.daniels [at] penton.com. For international technology companies please contact Amy Katz, amy.katz [at] penton.com.
11. I still have additional questions. Where can I find answers?
Thanks for your readership. Please post a comment containing your question. We’ll reply and potentially update the FAQ accordingly.